With the start of the 2023-24 season edging closer, teams are finally getting back to official practices, and earlier this week, it was time for the Anaheim Ducks’ roster to get together for the first time this season. On the ice was the second overall pick from this summer, Leo Carlsson, who hopes to get a place in the team for his rookie year.
But one of the most talented players in the NHL, Trevor Zegras, is missing from the camp.
His entry-level contract expired this summer, and although the team and player have been in discussions since the summer of 2022, they seem to be nowhere close to an agreement, and the reports haven’t been positive from a Ducks perspective.
Earlier this week, TSN’s Pierre LeBrun said that Zegras and the Ducks have agreed to a 3-year deal but are far apart on the AAV.
“Zegras is the face of the franchise, an offensive star, and what I can tell you is there’s still a tangible gap in talks between the Anaheim Ducks and his representative Pat Brisson,” LeBrun said on Insider Trading. ”My understanding is they’ve agreed on term, they’re both willing to do a three-year deal, but they’re far apart on the average annual value, so let’s see where that goes. There was another conversation on Tuesday between the two sides which is a positive.”
Trevor Zegras is one of the most hyped players in the NHL. He’s perhaps the most skillful and creative player in the league, known for being a magician with the puck and for his lacrosse-style goal and assist attempts.
But according to TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie, the Ducks are only offering Zegras a contract in the $3M-$4M range. Many fans have slammed the Ducks for playing hardball with a great talent and that he’s worth so much more than that. And apparently, that’s what Zegras and his representative think as well.
Zegras hasn’t responded to the claims and still hasn’t commented on the contract situation, but now, he drops a hint about how he’s feeling about it on his Instagram.
Zegras previously had a profile picture on the social media platform of him in a Ducks jersey.
But according to users on Reddit, he’s now changed it to a photo of him with a sleeping mask. It’s almost like he’s sending a message that he’s not interested in what’s happening. At least, that’s what fans seem to think.
”He gone,” one said.
”If the reports are true and Verbeek only offered him $3-4mil I don’t blame Zegras for having a bad taste in his mouth. He’s one of our best young players and one we needed to lock up,” another responded.
”Is he covering his ears? Shite…..,” a third added.